Sunday, December 14, 2014

Mosquitoes breeding area at the construction site in Kelawei Road

GEORGE TOWN: The developer of a high-rise project in Kelawei Road here has been slapped with a two-week stop-work order after mosquitoes were found to be breeding at the construction site. 

After fining the developer RM500 for the offence, the Penang Municipal Council (MPPP) yesterday gave it a fortnight to comply with all requirements, including removing all present and potential breeding grounds and to come up with specific steps to prevent any recurrence.

MPPP Building Department director Yew Tung Seang said the council and state Health Department conducted inspections following complaints from residents of neighbouring Solok Concordia after two occupants of a house there came down with dengue recently.

Some residents of Solok Concordia met Bukit Bendera MP Zairil Khir Johari at the house of Poh Yang Heang yesterday to complain about mosquitoes from the construction site. Poh, whose mother and wife came down with dengue, said the residents made numerous complaints to MPPP about the mosquitoes for the past three months, but their complaints fell on deaf ears.

Poh, 34, said there was a surge in the number of mosquitoes in the area when work began on the construction site a year ago. He claimed that foreign workers there threw rubbish and empty cans into a gap barely half a metre wide separating his house and the fenced-up site.

He said the place was almost impossible to be cleaned as no one could enter the narrow path. As a result, Poh said he had to cover his entire house with mosquito netting and bought various types of mosquito repellents, sprays and coils.

“Developers should be responsible for the cleanliness of their sites. They should educate their workers on keeping the surroundings clean as most of these sites are in residential areas,” he said.

A spokesman for the developer said it was surprised there were mosquitoes as its workers carry out a weekly housekeeping, while regular fogging was also conducted.

Meanwhile, state Health Com­mittee chairman Dr Afif Bahardin said Penang recorded 2,558 dengue cases from Jan 1 to Dec 6 this year, compared to 943 cases for the same period last year – an increase of 1,615 cases or 171.26%. He said there were seven fatalities from 35 dengue hotspots this year, compared to five deaths last year. news from The Star Online
Previous Post
Next Post

post written by:

0 comments: